Karma Yoga, Internships and Immersion
at Ananda Village
Join us for a dynamic exploration of spiritual community. Serve with joy and learn or apply skills in cleaning, farming, building, technology; study together and be surrounded by diverse, spiritually supportive friends; meditate deeply each day and explore Paramhansa Yogananda’s universal path of Kriya Yoga and Self Realization.
We offer Karma Yoga Internships to those who complete a minimum of two weeks of our regular Karma Yoga Program at The Expanding Light Retreat and wish to serve in various creative ways in the larger Ananda community. Some of the dynamic, fun, and interesting places Karma Yoga Interns can serve at Ananda Village include, but are not limited to:
- Ananda Farm (CCOF): Serve on our farm which has been growing food here since 1970. Practice yoga in action and learn about organic food production, handling, distribution, irrigation, crop rotation, and more.
- Ananda Permaculture (CCOF): Learn and work with experts in: permaculture, biodynamics, natural farming principles, plan selection, planting bareroots and seedlings, preparing seed flats, soil amendments, tree and shrub pruning, harvesting friot, veggies and herbs, irrigation and swales, rain water systems, and co-creating with Nature and Spirit.
- Yogoata Dairy: Experience the joy of serving at our spiritualized, loving and humane goat herdshare. Services include milking, feeding and herding goats, chickens and ducks, fencing, cleaning, and other farm tasks.
- Mooshine Dairy: Learn and work with all aspects of organic farming in our cow dairy herdshare: milking, feeding, pasture management, cleaning and more.
- Healing Prayer Ministry: Serve and learn with Mary Kretzmann, master healer and longtime director of Ananda’s Healing Prayer Ministry, steeped in the techniques and teachings from Yogananda’s tradition of Divine Healing. Other duties may include translation, transcription or clerical work.
- Radio Ananda: Serve and learn about Ananda music and a unique outreach ministry; potential for training using specific software, working with audio upgrade technology and other aspects of radio programming.
- Ananda Communications, Administration and Web Services: Apply or learn skills ranging from computer and web programming to writing, graphic design, data entry and other fun techy stuff.
- Ananda Village Sustainable Community Management: Work with a team of community developers, planners, maintenance and builders. Apply or learn skills such as mapping, forestry, all aspects of general construction, landscaping, and working with community infrastructure.
- Crystal Hermitage: Serve and learn with master gardeners in a world-class ornamental garden of terraced annual flowers, perennial trees and shrubs; serve with general maintenance in these extensive grounds and gardens, and enjoy the peaceful, joyful vibrations of this sacred hermitage.
- With additional potential for projects in Karma Yoga Internships or Immersion in: forestry, construction, landscaping, remodeling, painting, and much more
delicious vegetarian meals a day and beautiful campsites and trails within Ananda Village. Karma Yoga Interns enjoy Tuesday and Thursday inspirational classes on spiritual topics, as well as an optional daily morning class (pending area of service and personal preference).
As a foundation for ashram life and service, all Karma Yogis serve two weeks in the traditional Karma Yoga Program at The Expanding Light before eligibility to move into a Karma Yoga Internship. Interns may then gradually move to 8 or more half-day shifts in a given department, and become important members in the day-to-day functions of your area of internship and the greater community. Typically interns continue to camp, enjoy meals and sadhanas, and serve 3 shifts per week at The Expanding Light.
Included in your schedule of service, meals, sadhanas (yoga & meditation), and spiritual classes, Karma Yogis and Interns also have time for reading and quiet reflection or relaxation; exploring Ananda’s 700 acres of scenic beauty; visiting the magnificent Yuba River or Nevada City; and enjoying a treat at Ananda’s little wholefoods store, Master’s Market.
Cost & Other Details
- $500/month (minimum 2-week stay at same cost)
- Includes the cost of two books: Lessons in Meditation by Jyotish Novak and The Art and Science of Raja Yoga by Swami Kriyananda, both used as study guides during the program, and yours to keep.)
- We request a $100 deposit to make your reservation. (This is included in the $500)
- Cancellations: If you cancel or reschedule at least 7 days before your scheduled arrival, half of your deposit remains as a credit for one year, and half is forfeited. If you cancel or reschedule with shorter notice, the entire deposit is forfeited.
For individuals interested in a still-more immersive experience, some Karma Yogis or Interns may wish to “graduate” into our community via our new Immersion Program. Any of the listed areas of internship are potential for work in a full or part-time capacity, integrating with all aspects of community life at Ananda Village; for Immersion Program interns Ananda Village will consider, on a case-by-case basis, providing accommodations (camping or housing), work-trade, or stipend finances for people of dedicated spirit, hard work, commitment, and attunement with Ananda’s way of life.
Please note: Immersion Program applicants must have: a legitimate skill or aptitude to training in area of internship; familiarity with or dedication to our spiritual path in the tradition of Paramhansa Yogananda; a longer term commitment, depending on circumstances of service.
Please contact us with any questions:
Expanding Light – email@example.com
Karma Yoga – firstname.lastname@example.org
Internships and Immersion – email@example.com
Sunday Services at Ananda Village
Join our residents and guests for our weekly Sunday Service, which includes prayer, chanting, meditation and inspirational readings from the Bible and the Bhagavad Gita, all in the tradition of Paramhansa Yogananda. Every Sunday from 11am to 12:30pm, at the Expanding Light.
Sunday School for children is usually available (contact firstname.lastname@example.org) each week.
After service, delicious vegetarian lunch is served at 12:30pm. The cost is $10 per person. Call to reserve for lunch 530-478-7518 Ext. 1.